Download nomination forms:
General Information and Guidelines 
To celebrate the University of the Philippines Alumni Association (UPAA) Toronto’s 40th anniversary, recognition will be given to alumni achievers, as follows:
● The UPAAT Distinguished Alumni Awards is conferred to alumni who have demonstrated exceptional achievements and outstanding contributions in their chosen field of endeavor
● The UPAAT Distinguished Service Awards are given to individual alumni who have rendered exceptional service in the pursuit of the goals of the Association.
○ Young (<50 years old)
○ Young at Heart (> 50 years old)
Nominations for these awards may be made by any UPAAT member in good standing. Evaluation of nominees and selection of awardees will be made by the UPAAT Search and Awards Committee and affirmed by the UPAAT council.
The guidelines for these two types of awards are detailed below.
UPAAT DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI AWARDS
The UPAA Distinguished Alumni Awards are conferred on alumni who have demonstrated, in their chosen field of endeavor, exceptional achievements and outstanding contributions that bring about substantial benefits to society and distinct honor to UP and UPAAT. Recognition is given to achievements and contributions that impact the community in which the alumnus has been active, whether this is at the local, national or international level.
General Criteria for the Awards:
Evaluation of nominees for the Distinguished Alumni Awards will be based on the following general criteria:
1. SERVICE ORIENTATION (30%) – the nominee’s work has clearly benefited other people, groups and society at large, and not merely private or personal interests;
2. IMPACT (30%) – the nominee’s work has had a substantial impact on the people of Canada or other countries both qualitatively (how deep, lasting or transformative) and quantitatively (how many people or groups benefited within the area or sector);
3. LEADERSHIP (20%) – the nominee has demonstrated effective and inspiring personal leadership in accomplishing the work for which s/he is being awarded; i.e., achievements can be attributed more to the person than to the official position/job/title s/he has held;
4. INTEGRITY (10%) – there is no serious concern about, or challenge to, the nominee’s personal integrity.
The nominee gets an additional 10% if s/he is a UPAAT member in good standing.
The Distinguished Alumni Awards are given to alumni who has relevant achievements or contributions to any of the following categories: good governance; public service; poverty alleviation and human development; peace and social cohesion; gender equality or women empowerment; community empowerment; environmental conservation and sustainable development; entrepreneurship and employment creation; corporate social responsibility; culture and the arts; science and technology; educational innovation; or health and wellness promotion.
Awards need not be given in all the categories listed above if there are no deserving nominees. Other fields or areas of award may be considered as defined by the achievements of a deserving nominee. The UPAAT Distinguished Alumni Awards are meant to be given to alumni who have achieved successful professional careers. To deserve the award, all nominees, over and above the highly successful careers they may have attained, must still meet the criteria of service orientation, leadership, impact and integrity described above.
UPAAT DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARDS
The UPAAT Distinguished Service Awards are given as a special recognition to individual alumni who have rendered exceptional service in the pursuit of the goals of UPAAT. In addition to the merits of their contributions, the integrity of nominees shall also be considered.
The UPAAT Distinguished Service Awards are given to members of UPAAT who have unselfishly provided time and effort to voluntary work to serve the organization. This award has two categories: a) the younger generation (up to 50 years of age) and b) the young at heart (more than 50 years old).
THE NOMINATION PROCESS
Nominations for these awards may be made by any UPAAT member. Evaluation of nominees and selection of awardees will be made by the UPAA Search and Awards Committee composed of three (3) esteemed judges and affirmed by the UPAAT Council. The nominees must be informed that they are being nominated.
INSTRUCTIONS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NOMINATORS
1. Nominations shall be made by accomplishing and electronically submitting the UPAAT Alumni Awards 2017 nomination form.
2. A copy of the nominee’s CV must also be submitted.
3. Documentation in support of the statement of achievements, such as certificates, citations, news articles, photographs, etc., may be submitted.
4. Submission of nomination forms and supporting papers must be addressed to the UPAAT Search and Awards Committee and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to 28 Shoalhaven Drive, Scarborough, ON M1C 5G6.
5. Nominations should be received by the UPAAT Search and Awards committee not later than October 20, 2017. Only complete and properly accomplished forms shall be accepted.
6. The UPAAT Search and Awards Committee will deliberate on the nominations and may request additional information or documents from the nominators. The Committee’s decisions are final and are submitted to the UPAAT Council for affirmation.
7. The UPAAT will immediately notify the awardee of her/his selection for the award. In the event that the awardee declines to accept the award and/or fails to attend the awarding ceremonies, the UPAAT reserves the right to withdraw the award.
8. All alumni awardees must attend the awarding ceremonies during the UPAAT 40th Anniversary on Saturday, November 11, 2017, 6:00 p.m. to personally receive their award, to be held at Hilton Toronto/Markham Suites Conference Centre and Spa at 8500 Warden Avenue, Markham Ontario.
9. Past awardees of the UPAAT Distinguished Alumni Award and Distinguished Service Award are not eligible for the nomination.
1 Patterned after the UPAA Alumni Awards.
2 A U.P. alumnus is one who obtained a degree/diploma OR who earned at least 60 credits from the University (http://www.upalumni.ph/registerasanalumni/).
3 A member is in good standing if he is not delinquent or in arrears in the payment of fees and other dues to the Association, and his membership is not under suspension.